Can a pilot light cause carbon monoxide?

A yellow or orange pilot light will produce carbon monoxide – an odourless, colourless gas that can fill your home and cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms of this condition include dizziness, headache, fatigue, nausea, unconsciousness, brain damage and death.

How much carbon monoxide does a pilot light produce?

Also, a typical pilot light can generate 450 pounds of carbon dioxide – a greenhouse gas -- over a six-month period. If an appliance isn't needed for a long period of time, its pilot light may be extinguished to save energy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and reduce the risk of fire or explosion.

Can leaving pilot light on cause carbon monoxide poisoning?

Because it's a byproduct of combustion, your gas appliances won't emit any carbon monoxide if a pilot light goes out. They could, however, leak gas, so it's still important to exercise caution when the pilot light goes out.


What happens if you leave pilot light on?

If you leave the pilot light on for long periods without turning on the main burner, a white film can develop on the glass. This is a sulfur byproduct of the burning pilot, and if left uncleaned, it can etch the glass.

Will you smell gas if pilot light goes out?

When in doubt, call Vectren, the gas company, 800.227. 1376. Note that it is totally normal on automatic pilots (pilots that do NOT stay lit all the time) to smell a little natural gas when the are first turned on. A little gas will escape as the pilot and burners light on your heat or appliance.


What You Didn't Know About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Alarms



Is it safe to relight a pilot light?

Take a moment to wait between the time you turn off the pilot light before relighting it. It gives the gas a chance to pass and prevents too much from igniting once you relight the furnace's pilot light. Give yourself a full minute to two minutes to wait.

How long should you smell gas after lighting pilot?

If the pilot light is out, shut the gas off at the appliance's gas shutoff valve. Always wait five minutes to let gas disperse before trying to relight an appliance pilot light.

Is it OK to leave pilot light on gas fireplace overnight?

It's not safe to leave it on. Why Isn't It Safe? The biggest reason is that gas fireplaces can release deadly carbon monoxide gas, which is odourless and can go unnoticed until a person dies from carbon monoxide poisoning. It is best to not leave your fireplace on for more than three hours at a time.

Should the pilot light always be on in a gas heater?

Should The Pilot Light Always Be On In A Gas Furnace? Yes, if the furnace is in operation, the pilot light will need to be on for it to be functional. However, some homeowners turn off their furnace's pilot light in the warmer seasons when the gas furnaces aren't in use.


Should I turn off pilot light in summer?

A little heat is produced when your pilot light is on so turning it off in summer can help reduce the heat inside your home. The less heat there is, the less you have to use your air conditioner needs to cool down the house. You can get savings and conserve energy if you turn off your pilot light.

What causes carbon monoxide in a house?

Carbon Monoxide Sources in the Home

CO is produced whenever a material burns. Homes with fuel-burning appliances or attached garages are more likely to have CO problems Common sources of CO in our homes include fuel-burning appliances and devices such as: Clothes dryers. Water heaters.

What happens if pilot light goes out on gas fireplace?

A pilot light may need to be re-lit from time to time after being extinguished on purpose or by accident. If it is accidentally extinguished, there exists a danger that the gas used to keep the flame lit will continue to vent, possibly into the living space.

What happens if the pilot light goes out on a furnace?

If your pilot light goes out, your furnace will not be able to produce heat because its burners will not ignite. Often, homeowners can relight the pilot themselves.


Does a carbon monoxide detector detect natural gas?

Ultimately, no, a carbon monoxide detector cannot detect a natural gas leak. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas created when fuel is burned in the presence of low levels of oxygen. Carbon monoxide is very different from methane and cannot be detected with the same sensor.

Is my pilot light too high?

A proper pilot flame should be blue with a yellow tip and should be strong enough to cover about 1/2 inch at the end of the thermocouple tip. If the flame is too strong and improperly adjusted, it will be blue but may be noisy and lift off the thermocouple, causing improper furnace operation.

How much gas does a pilot light use per hour?

Natural Gas Expenditure (Up To Over 5,000 Cubic Feet Per Year) That means that running a standard pilot light non-stop will consume: 0.579 cubic feet of natural gas per hour.

When did furnaces stop using pilot lights?

Why New Furnaces Don't Have Pilot Lights? Up till about 2010, most furnaces came with pilot lights. After 2010, the trend shifted to electronic ignition systems (intermittent pilots or hot surface pilots).


Can a gas fireplace cause carbon monoxide poisoning?

Yes, gas fireplaces are one potential cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. While there are many potential sources of such exposure, including certain appliances and devices, motor vehicles and wood stoves, gas fireplaces are a common culprit.

How do I know if my gas fireplace is vented?

A vented fireplace has attractive yellow and orange flames that lick upward around the sides of the ceramic logs. An unvented fireplace, by contrast, has much less striking flames. These flames tend to be smaller and bluer. As a result, an unvented gas fireplace won't create quite the same illusion as a vented one.

Are gas fireplaces safe to breathe?

The main concern with a gas-burning appliance is the exhaust of carbon monoxide and leaving the unit on overnight is simply risky. The fact is, most gas units are safe and do not emit carbon monoxide at levels that are toxic.

Should I open windows if I smell gas?

DO NOT open your windows if you smell natural gas in your home! Natural gas is combustible only when it makes up 5-15% of the air in a given space. By opening a window, you might actually make the area more unsafe. DO NOT turn on/off any lights or appliances if you smell natural gas in your home or building.


Is it normal to smell a little gas near furnace?

The burning dust does not present much of a risk, but what it does do is react with the mercaptan that has been added to your natural gas. You may smell this odor not just near the furnace but coming through the vents. Such smells are perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned about.

What color should a gas pilot light be?

Inspecting a Gas Furnace Pilot Light Flame

A natural gas flame should be a bright blue color with a small amount of yellow at the very tip. A propane flame will have more of a bluish-green flame with a tinge of yellow at the tip. The flame should strong enough to cover about 1/2 inch at the end of the thermocouple tip.

Will water heater leak if pilot light goes out?

If the pilot light goes out on a storage or instantaneous hot water heater, space heater or a ducted heater, you will not have a gas leak. This is because all modern gas appliances with pilot lights have a fail-safe device that closes off the gas to the appliance in the case when the pilot may go out.

Is it safe to leave pilot light off water heater?

Is it Dangerous if the Water Heater's Pilot Light Goes Out? In most cases, it isn't dangerous when the water heater pilot light is extinguished. This is because modern gas-fueled water heaters feature valves that automatically close the supply of gas when the pilot light goes out.
Next question
Is Gmail shutting down 2020?